This alkalising super green kale and courgette soup is the perfect winter warmer to ward off the sniffles! Combining these two nutritious vegetables is a great way to ensure your soup is nutrient dense, yet creamy and delicious. Ideal for the whole family or in a flask on the go.
To make this kale and courgette soup, you’ll need….
- 4-5 large stalks kale, thick stalks discarded and roughly chopped
- 2 medium courgettes, sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500ml vegetable stock (optional, otherwise water)
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbs of lemon juice
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Butter for frying
- Cream cheese, creme fraiche or sour cream
- Pumpkin seeds
Steam the kale and courgettes, either separately or using a multi-level steamer until soft and tender. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, add a little butter and gently sauté the onions and garlic for 5 mins.
Add stock/water, nutmeg, salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and cover. Let it simmer gently for around 5 mins for the flavours to infuse.
Add the vegetables with the lemon juice; this retains the vibrant green colour of the kale and courgettes.
When cool, blend with a hand blender until smooth and creamy. If soup is too thick, add a little boiled water until desired consistency.
When serving, garnish with a teaspoon of cream cheese and a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds.