Homemade pesto is not only delicious and very easy to make, but also allows you to cater for any dietary requirements without compromising on the health benefits. This versatile recipe is perfect stirred into a soup, as a base for a salad dressing, mixed in with your veggies or simply a healthier alternative for pasta or pizza… the options are endless!
To Make this Nut Free Pesto you’ll need…..
- 100g parmesan, grated
- 100g extra virgin olive oil
- 80g basil
- 100g rocket
- 6 large cloves garlic
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
Put the basil and garlic in a food processor and blend until well ground. Pulse a few times until well combined, scraping down the sides in between. Check seasoning.
- Ideally you will be using a powerful blender such as a Thermomix or Nutribullet, to make sure that you have an evenly ground pesto.
- Take care with seasoning as the parmesan is already salty.
- I like to make up a batch and leave it in the fridge. This pesto will keep in the fridge for up to 10 days; keep a little layer of olive oil on the top to keep it fresher for longer.
- For a more zesty pesto, use more lemon juice; ideal with fish or pasta.
- You can vary the herb; parsley, rocket or watercress work particularly well.
This Nut Free Pesto is so versatile:
- Add as a topping to a white fish or salmon fillet and bake in the oven.
- Mix in with some roasted vegetables and quinoa/pasta.
- Add a spoonful to a soup when serving for a extra flavoursome punch.
- Use as a stuffing for butternut Squash or marrow; scoop out middle and spoon in the pesto. Bake in the oven until soft.
If you enjoyed this recipe, find more on MaySimpkin.com