Here is a fabulous soup which is bursting with flavour and nutrition with vitamins and minerals, protein and fibre. It’s really filling yet low in fat and calories. A total winner!
To make this delicious soup you will need…
- 1x 400g tin cannellini beans
- 1x 400g tin white butter beans
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, washed and roughly chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 litre of vegetable or chicken stock (or vegetable bouillon)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Handful of tarragon, chopped
- Salt and pepper
Heat the coconut oil in a pan. Once melted, add the onion, shallots, leek and garlic and soften for approximately 10 minutes (until cooked but not brown).
Add the beans, stock, bay leaf and seasoning and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
Cool the soup slightly and remember to remove the bay leaf before blending in a liquidiser until smooth. This soup is thick so you may want to dilute it with a little water or stock.
To serve, pour the soup back into a pan and bring up to temperature, checking the seasoning and adding a little lemon juice to taste. Pour into soup bowls, top with a spoonful of Greek yoghurt, a drizzle of olive oil and chopped tarragon.
* Please take special care when liquidising the soup if it is still hot!
If you enjoyed this recipe, find out more at nutritionforlife.co.uk
Written by Alex Gear
About The Author
A Registered Nutritional Therapist and Naturopath as well as a trained chef and former cookery teacher, Alex has a wealth of experience and is very passionate about helping people feel their best through food and lifestyle.