Bonfire Night for me, conjures up memories of cold nights, watching dazzling firework displays by a crackling bonfire and then trudging home in the dark in our muddy wellies….ready to feast on steaming mugs of hot chocolate, topped with lashings of whipped cream, fluffy marshmallows and always accompanied by something chocolatey!
This year may look a bit different with more of us taking the plunge to hold mini displays in our back gardens, but whatever the case, the steaming hot cocoa and chocolate treats afterwards are still a must!
Here is a family favourite no-bake marshmallow brownie treat. Perfect to serve, on that special evening that my kids fondly call ‘Bang Bang Stars night!’ With hints of warming ginger and nuggets of fluffy marshmallow throughout, it’s easy enough to be whipped up beforehand and left to set whilst you enjoy the show!
Any that are not polished off on the night, can be stored for several days and do extremely well in lunch boxes….
No-Bake Marshmallow Brownie Bars
Makes 12 – 16 bars
2 1/4 cups of biscuit crumbs (I like to use Gingernuts but Digestives work well too or a combination!)
1 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows (plus extra for sprinkling on top if desired)
3/4 cup of dark chocolate chips
115g unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grease and line a 9”x 9” baking tray.
- Mix together the biscuit crumbs, marshmallows & chocolate chips in a bowl and set aside.
- Melt the butter gently in a small pan over a low heat and then mix in the sugar, lightly beaten egg and vanilla extract. Stir constantly as you do this then set aside.
- Once lightly cooled, pour the mixture into the biscuit crumb bowl and fold in the marshmallows and chocolate chips – they should melt a little.
- Pour the mixture out into your prepared tin and level out with a spatula. If desired, sprinkle some extra marshmallows on top and lightly press them in.
- Let it cool and set for about 1 hour. To speed this up to 30 minutes, you can place it in the fridge if necessary.
- Cut just before serving and enjoy……
A little bit about Sadie’s Kitchen…..
I’ve always loved baking, but being a busy Primary School teacher and then an involved mum of three (young children), I haven’t always had the time. But somehow our kitchen has always been the central hub of activity, with regular baking for friends and family. It helps that my children enjoy baking, as we can spend quality time together doing something we are all passionate about. We have also discovered the joys of hosting sweet treat/baking parties for their little friends. Who doesn’t like a cookie/chocolate/cupcake/pizza party? In fact, my children are regulars in my kitchen & Sadie’s Bake Offs were a weekly highlight in our house during the first Covid lockdown, with the kids relishing the challenge!
Now with all 3 children a little older, ‘Sadie’s Kitchen’, specialising in sweet treats has finally become a reality; my little haven, where I can spend my time whipping up tasty sweets treats for all to enjoy.
I’m a passionate, self-taught homebaker who believes that anyone can bake if they have the desire. I’m just here to give a helping hand and treat those who prefer not to or simply don’t have the time to bake. After all, life is busy and hard…everybody needs a little sweetness now & then. Welcome to Sadie’s Kitchen!
Love Sadie xx
Written By: Sadie Yeehan Man | Guest Blogger