We asked londonfoodboy to share his favourite savoury idea for this years Pancake Day. Here is his tasty:
Pancakes with bacon, eggs and cheese.
Time: 45 minutes
Two mixing bowls
One large frying pan
One baking tray
One large and deep pan
* 200g self-raising flour
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 150 ml soured cream
* 7 large eggs split between the batter and poached
* 100ml water
* 4 spring onions, finely chopped
* 125g mature Cheddar, grated
* 2 avocado, smashed
* 8 rashers of streaky bacon
* 1 tbsp light coloured vinegar
* Butter, to fry
1. Pour flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk together. In a separate bowl mix together 3 eggs, soured cream and water. Gradually whisk the mixture into the flour, making a smooth batter. Add half of the spring onions and half of the cheese and leave to rest while heating the oven.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan).
3. Spread the bacon on a baking tray before cooking in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until crispy.
4. While the bacon is cooking mash the avocado, cook the pancakes and poach the eggs.
5. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add 1tsp of butter. Pour in half-ladlefuls into the frying pan (2-3 per time, leaving space between the batter). Cook for 2-3 minutes before the bottom is golden and you can see bubbles appear on the top. Turn and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Transfer the cooked pancakes to a tray and cover a lid or aluminium foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining butter, 12 in total.
6. While frying the pancakes bring a large saucepan of water to a simmer and add 1 tbsp of vinegar. Crack the eggs into individual ramekins or similar. Stir the water so the water swirl in the pan and carefully tip in the eggs (two at the time). Poach for 3-4 minutes and remove from the water with a slotted spoon when the whites are set, but yolks remain soft and runny.
7. Layer three pancakes on each plate with spring onions and cheese in between. Add the smashed avocado, two bacon rashers and a poached egg on top of each stack.
Happy Pancake Day!
Written By: Patrick Smith | Food & Drink Editor