Hot cross buns
Makes: 10 buns
Time: 4 hours
*One mixing bowl
*One small saucepan
*Kitchen machine (optional)
* 400g strong flour, 350g for the dough and 50g for the hot cross
* 170ml milk
* 2 tbsp marmalade
* 50g butter
* 50g sugar
* 7g dried yeast
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 2 eggs, 1 for the dough and 1 for the egg wash
* 70g raisins
* 1 lemon, zest
* 1 orange, zest
* 2 tbsp golden syrup
1. Heat milk, butter and marmalade until the butter has melted; cool.
2. Combine flour, sugar, yeast, salt, cinnamon in a bowl
3. Add the cooled milk, marmalade and butter mix, add one whole egg. Combine to form a wet but not too sticky dough, knead for 5 minutes and leave to rise for an hour
4. Beat the dough back, add the raisins, orange and lemon zest and knead again. Leave to rest for another hour.
5. Divide the dough into 10 equal sizes (roughly 80g each) and shape them into balls. Line a baking tray and cover to rise for another hour.
6. Preheat the oven to 200c.
7. Brush the buns with an egg glaze.
8. Mix the remaining flour with enough water to make a thick paste. Use a piping bag (or a sandwich bag with the corner snipped off). Make a cross over each bun.
9. Bake for 15-17 minutes, until golden.
10. Heat the Golden Syrup until loose and warm, brush over the buns as soon as they come out of the oven.
11. Leave to cool, slice them open, toast and serve with liberal amounts of butter.
We hope you enjoy this tasty recipe and wish you a happy Easter weekend!
Written By: Patrick Smith | Food & Drink Editor