Anyone who is a mother is a hero.
To acknowledge how precious they are and to signify how they deserve to be treasured, I am sharing my specially created Citrus Gem Tart recipe. A fresh citrus filling of lemon and orange, perfect for Spring with floating ruby gem pomegranate seeds. The creamy filling sits atop a simple shortbread crust that balances out the sharper flavours.
And so back to this gorgeous Citrus Gem Tart: Certified and tested as always by my family first. Can I say it passed with flying colours? Try this recipe and treat your loved ones to some homemade love this Mothering Sunday.
Citrus Gem Tart
260g plain flour
85g caster sugar
175g unsalted butter (chilled and cubed)
Pinch of salt
Juice of 3 lemons
Juice of half an orange
1/2 pomegranate – seeds
3 large eggs
220g granulated sugar
3 tbsp plain flour
Pinch of salt
*Preheat oven at 180c
1.Grease a 9 inch tart tin with removable base or alternatively use a 9 x 9square baking tin.
2. Mix all the dry base ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Add in the chilled cubed butter and rub into the dry ingredients using your fingers and thumb until mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
4. Take just over one half of the mixture and press firmly into the base of your tart tin. If you are using a square tin, use all the base mixture.
5. Take handfuls of the rest and press firmly against the edges of the tart tin to form the sides, pressing and shaping as you go round until you have covered all the sides evenly to form a tart shell. Prick the base all over lightly with a fork to prevent it puffing up when it bakes.
6. Chill tart crust in fridge for 15 minutes.
7. Bake for 15-18 minutes till lightly golden and leave to cool in pan.
8. Make the filling: pour juices into a large mixing bowl and whisk with the sugar and salt.
9. Add in the eggs and whisk till combined.
10. Sift in the flour and whisk till combined.
11. Pour into the tart case and sprinkle pomegranate seeds all over.
12. Bake for 18-22 minutes until filling is set.
*The pomegranate seeds float to the top to sit prettily like gems. I like to keep mine simple with just the floating gems but if you want to use more pomegranate seeds or orange and lemon slices to decorate, you can do so at this point.
Leave to cool completely before slicing and enjoy with a large dollop of cream!
Happy Mothering Sunday!
Love from Sadie xx
Written By: Sadie Yeehan Man | Guest Blogger