Go on, be a flirt; it can boost self esteem & make you & the person you’re flirting with feel good. Here’s wellbeing blogger Feel-Good Flora’s flirting lowdown…
What is Flirting?
Flirting is a social and sexual behaviour involving verbal or written communication, as well as body language, by one person to another, either to suggest interest in a deeper relationship with the other person, or if done playfully, for amusement.
Why Do People Flirt?
People flirt for six different reasons (according to a scientific study by David Henningsen in 2004). They are…
Sex: trying to get in bed
Fun: people enjoy it
Exploring: trying to see what it would be like to be in a relationship
Relational: trying to increase the intimacy of a relationship
Esteem: increasing one’s own self esteem
Instrumental: trying to get something from the other person
Why Does Flirting Feel Good?
In a relationship or single, flirting can make us feel good. It has positive effects on health, psychological wellbeing and on building and maintaining relationships. Some reasons why flirting feels good…
- Releases feel-good chemicals: Excites the parts of the brain that release feel-good chemicals
- Boosts self-esteem: Flirting is the act of making someone feel good, boosting their self-esteem and confidence. It’s also a huge boost to your self-confidence to be flirted with.
- Activates adrenaline: There is a direct link between healthy flirting and stimulation of the nervous system. It encourages blood flow and also leads to the release of adrenaline. Increase in adrenaline in turn increases the ability to stay alert, to concentrate, and also makes us more sensitive to touch.
- Stimulates you to be better: you may notice that when you go some place you know some one you fancy, you’ll make the effort to be your best self
How Do I Flirt?
You might be good at it, or need a few pointers; take a read of these helpful tips to make you a better flirt…
- Get into a happy mindset before going into an environment where you might have the opportunity to flirt. Listen to a certain song, workout, wear your favourite perfume, choose the right outfit can all add to how you feel internally
- We gravitate to those who look happy
- Eye play is essential in the art of flirting. In particular, it is the left eye that makes the best impression. With a left eye to left eye gaze, your mind will concentrate on where there is synergy
- Show genuine interest
- Be confident. Might help to dress up and look good
- Pay compliments
- Be fully present in the moment
- Surprise them, maybe choose their cocktail on a date or take a small gift
- Talk with your palms up, which makes the other person feel at ease. It’s an “I come in peace” kind of gesture
- Just be yourself
Flirting is fun and it makes the people involved feel good. So give it a go and reap the benefits of a boost in confidence, take a relationship up a level and improve your wellbeing.
Image credit: All photographs taken by Flora at Gods Own Junkyard