The Dons Local Action Group have encouraged locals to bake muffins for key workers.
Delivery of the Canadian muffin mix received on Thursday afternoon. Over 4,000 eggs donated by Solstice Food, the remaining 2,200 from the Dons Local Action Group.
Three baking hubs established by the end of the day in Wimbledon; Bliss Coffee Shop, one in Raynes Park and one in Wimbledon Park. Friday three more established in Raynes Park at Philippa’s Kitchen, one in Wimbledon Chase and one in Wimbledon Park. On Saturday, 10 more hubs established across Wimbledon, Earlsfield, Wandsworth, Worcester Park and Surbiton and all ingredients despatched.
25,000 muffins are now being baked in 10 days by our amazing community. They will go directly to front line staff at 7 local hospitals and other local key workers including the ambulance service, police, fire service, refuse collectors, postal workers. Some will also be given to vulnerable people in our community including the homeless.
The overall initiative #doingabit started at Old Wimbledonian rugby club on 6 April in collaboration with Dons Local Action Group delivering to:
St George’s Hospital Tooting
St Helier Hospital
East Surrey Hospital – Redhill
The Alexandra and Rose and Crown started soon after and now the Leather Bottle to:
Royal Surrey County Hospital- Guildford
Queen Mary’s Hospital – Roehampton
Nelson Medical Centre
All bakers have been told to wash their hands in line with COVID-19 Government guidelines prior to baking and then transference from the oven into packaging. All bakers have also been told not to use any nuts. Muffins remain in packaging until delivery onto the wards and to other key workers.
MERTON BAKERS CREATIONS
BASIC MUFFIN RECIPE
- 2 medium eggs
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 250ml semi-skimmed milk
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 400g self-raising flour (or same quantity plain flour and 3 tsp baking powder)
- 1 tsp salt
- 100g chocolate chips or dried fruit such as sultanas or dried cherries (optional)
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line 2 muffin trays with paper muffin cases. In a large bowl beat 2 medium eggs lightly with a handheld electric mixer for 1 min.
- Add 125ml vegetable oil and 250ml semi-skimmed milk and beat until just combined then add 250g golden caster sugar and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Sift in 400g self-raising flour and 1 tsp salt (or 400g plain flour and 3 tsp baking powder if using) then mix until just smooth. Be careful not to over-mix the batter as this will make the muffins tough.
- Stir in 100g chocolate chips or dried fruit if using.
- Fill muffin cases two-thirds full and bake for 20-25 mins, until risen, firm to the touch and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. If the trays will not fit on 1 shelf, swap the shelves around after 15 mins of cooking.
- Leave the muffins in the tin to cool for a few mins and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
To find out more about The Dons Local Action Group