Meet Founder of The Noble Wick and local Wimbledon female entrepreneur Zoë Crawford, who helps light up the UK with her luxury, sustainable, hand poured candles….
Zoë poured her first candle whilst on a course in 2019 and has loved making environmentally friendly candles (particularly for others!) ever since. “At a time when self-care and mental health has been important for many of us, I wanted to try and spread a little warmth to people’s homes.” What had originally started out as a few gifts then snowballed into a full blown business for Zoë – and after months of research and trial and error, The Noble Wick was born on 1st Feb 2021.
We got in touch with Zoë to learn more about what inspired her on her journey to starting the business, and see what went into the making of these beautiful creations….
What inspired you to make candles?
- When I was younger, I spent a lot of my time in candle shops inhaling all the different fragrances. I have always thought that they were the perfect gift for yourself or loved ones and help us to create moments of warmth and calm. This continued into adulthood to the extent that I took a course to learn how to make my own. I would often make and gift candles to family, friends and loved ones to let them know I was thinking of them and they soon became so popular that a business was born. My mission is to spread warmth to people and their homes – nothing beats the warm feeling of treating yourself to a cherished candle, or gifting it to someone else.
What was your previous life?
- I have lots of experience in marketing and events and still juggle freelancer work today. My experience in marketing has meant that the market research and branding have been core elements of The Noble Wick and building it from scratch has been something I have really enjoyed. It’s also meant that I have got the local community involved in testing which fragrances are the most desirable, so every fragrance included in our Classic Collection has been voted by Wimbledon residents.
What do you love about Wimbledon?
- As a local resident I love the community feel here. People genuinely care for (and talk to) each other which gives it a village feel but with a lot more going on. The village is beautiful, the markets are fantastic and whichever way I walk there are lots of trees – a privilege to see in London. There is an incredible sense of balance and care here that I will always love and treasure.
Tell us about the importance of a sustainable candle:
- Building a sustainable company and product is something that I am really passionate about having grown up in the countryside. All of our packaging is biodegradable and recyclable where possible. All of our products are hand poured in small batches by me and we only ever use vegetable waxes. In our Classic Collection, we use soy wax which is considered to have a ‘cleaner’ burn compared to other waxes as it produces less soot – better for you, your pets, and your home.
We love alternative Easter gifts, which scent would you recommend this spring?
- Our latest fragrance, Lily and Cotton, smells like fresh laundry – I just want to wrap myself up in it. It’s soft, woody florals wrapped in clouds of dreamy musk and smooth, creamy vanilla make it the perfect candle to soothe and unwind. For those looking for a more floral fragrance, watch this space – our May release is the one to watch!
Feel free to pop Zoë an email on email@example.com or DM with any questions you may have on The Noble Wick’s Instagram or Facebook.
Thanks for supporting this small business. Every order is cherished and treated with care.