Strawberries are synonymous with British Summertime and nothing says Wimbledon like Strawberries and cream…In this Strawberry Galette, flakey buttery pie dough meets sweet seasonal strawberries in a hot oven and when eaten with a generous helping of fresh cream, you have Summer dancing on your palette.
The best thing about baking a galette is its all-embracing rustic vibe. There is no need for a perfect shape as long as it holds your filling! I have prettified mine by adding some extra bits of flower-shaped dough but this is totally optional. Serve up this strawberry Galette as a delicious ode to Summer as Tennis season gets underway…
Flaky pie dough
•1 1/4 cups plain flour
•1/4 tbsp granulated sugar
•1/4 tsp salt
•113g unsalted butter chilled & cubed
•Approx 3-4 tbsp cold water
•1/4 cup strawberry jam
•2 1/2 cups strawberries hulled and sliced/quartered/halved depending on your preference
•1 1/2 tbsp ground almonds
•1 tbsp granulated sugar
•1 tbsp arrowroot starch (can substitute with cornstarch/tapioca flour/rice flour/potato starch/Xanthan gum but these can cloud the strawberry filling)
1. Mix flour, sugar & salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Add the cold diced butter and cut into mixture until resembles coarse breadcrumbs. You can use a pastry cutter or pulse the mixture in a food processor or lift & rub it between your fingertips.
3. Add 3 tbsp of cold water and mix it in with a fork until the mixture starts to clump together. Add another tbsp of water if necessary.
4. Gather together into a rough ball and flatten to a thick disc shape – do not knead!
5. Wrap in cling film – refrigerate for 30mins.
6. Unwrap and roll out to a 12-inch circle and transfer to a lined baking tray and chill again for 15 mins.
7. Microwave jam for 10 seconds and spread 1/2 amount over circle leaving a 1.5-inch border.
8. Sprinkle ground almonds over jam.
9. Mix strawberries with 1/2 arrowroot powder and sugar and spread over jam base.
10. Brush with remaining jam and sprinkle remaining arrowroot powder on top.
11. Fold in dough border pleating as you go – don’t worry about neatness.
12. Brush with milk and bake for 30-35 mins till golden. Leave to cool before slicing.
13. Serve with a dollop of fresh cream!
Love from Sadie xxx
Making life that little bit sweeter…