This year, Wimbledon season comes with blazing sunshine and heat; a nice chilled strawberry & raspberry panacotta is the perfect dessert to cool down with.
The slightly tart berry sauce paired with creamy sweet vanilla panacotta is a match made in heaven. You can even have fun with the way you set it in the glasses as I have done here but however you serve it, one things for certain, you’ll be onto a winner.
Ingredients (Approximately 5-6 portions)
•1 cup whole milk
•2 cups double cream
•2 1/2 tsp gelatin or 4 leaves
•1/2 cup and 1 tbsp granulated sugar
•pinch of salt
•1 tsp vanilla extract
•5 tbsp sour cream
•1 1/2 cups of berries (1 cup quartered strawberries and 1/2 raspberries)
•3 tbsp sugar
•1/2 tbsp lemon juice
•1-2 tbsp water
- To make the vanilla panacotta: Pour 1 cup of milk in a saucepan and sprinkle in the gelatin. Leave untouched for a few minutes for the gelatin to soften.
- Place saucepan over low heat and heat gently -stirring till gelatine is completely dissolved & mixture is lightly steaming but not boiling.
- Add 2 cups of double cream, sugar, salt and vanilla extract.
- Continue stirring till all sugar is dissolved.
- Take off heat and let cool for 5 mins.
- Pour sour cream into large bowl and whisk briefly till softened then gradually add the cream mixture and whisk till all combined smoothly.
- Pour into glasses/ramekins till 3/4 full.
- To make the berry sauce: pour the berries, sugar, lemon juice and water into a saucepan (reserving a few for decor) and bring to a low boil and cook until syrupy.
- Pour berry sauce generously on top of set vanilla panacotta and decorate with reserved berries and other fruit as desired. I added blueberries and mint leaves.
10. *If you would like to set it at an angle, as shown, place the glasses tilted in a muffin tray and fill 1/2 full of panacotta mixture then place in fridge to set for an hour or longer.
11. * For slanted stripe effect, divide berry mixture in half and add 1 tsp of gelatine to one half whilst still hot and stir till dissolved. Pour a few tsps of gelatinous berry sauce into each glass on top of set panacotta layer. Chill till Berry layer is set then top with remaining vanilla panacotta mixture and chill again. Finally once final layer is set, top with non gelatinous berry sauce and decorate as usual.
Keep in fridge till time to serve and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Love Sadie xx
Here making life a little bit sweeter….