This Mother’s Day, whether you’re celebrating a mother, a maternal bond, or Mother Nature herself, here are my three ‘Cheatsy’ hacks to whip up a simple yet special treat for breakfast, lunch or dinner this Sunday.
In our house, waffles have long been the go-to for a special occasion at home brekkie or brunch, but my recent upgrade to Churro Waffles has elevated it from ‘yummy’ to ‘scrum diddly umptious’.
You will need;
-A batch or classic waffles, homemade or otherwise
- Combine sugar and cinnamon 4 parts sugar to 1 part cinnamon.
- Warm your waffles and chocolate sauce.
- Brush waffles with melted butter and coat in the sugar and cinnamon mix
- Serve with warm sauce and dunk to your hearts content!
Sooz’ Cheatsy Sausage Rolls
Ready made puff pastry is a staple at Sooz Chef HQ, and saves hours of labour whilst delivering excellent quality savoury or sweet treats. These sausage rolls are a perfect addition to a picnic or buffet style lunch, both of which lend themselves to maximum social time and minimum stress.
You will need;
1 Pack ready rolled puff pastry
1 pack of Cumberland sausages
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice
1/2 tsp All spice
1/4 tsp Garlic powder
Sesame seeds (optional)
1. Remove sausage meat from casings and combine with seasoning and spices. (Feel free to substitute spices for herbs or play around with seasonings to achieve your perfect flavour.)
2. Divide the sausage meat in two and place lengthways along the puff pastry
3. Fold the pastry over the meat and secure with egg wash and the pressure of a fork
4. Cut into rolls of your preferred size, score lightly and egg wash before sprinkling with sesame seeds
5. Bake at 220 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Best served WARM 😍
Burrata with honey, truffle and almonds
If you’re someone who spends time in the kitchen, chances are you’ve got a couple of go-to dinners that you’ve perfected over time. This starter is a fabulous way to level-up one of your own classics. This always gets the ‘oohs’ from my guests, but is one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever come up with. The trick with this one is get the best ingredients you can, and they will do the rest themselves. Enjoy!
You will need;
Sea salt flakes
- Remove the burrata from the fridge two hours before serving to ensure it’s at room temperature
- Drizzle with honey and truffle oil
- Smash up your almonds (also a nice bit of therapy if Mother’s Day has presented any stresses)
- Sprinkle almonds and sea salt flakes and serve!
Whatever you’re doing this weekend, I hope you have a fabulous one. Sending all of my love to all those to whom Mothers Day touches.
Sooz Chef xo
About The Author
Sooz is an avid foodventurer, home baker, and ambassador for all things delicious. She takes her foodsplorations seriously and has a reputation for discovering the very best that the south west foodie scene has to offer. Follow Sooz on Instagram: @sooz.chef